Alternative Service Breaks are designed to create both a volunteer experience and a cultural immersion for UofL studentparticipants. There is a distinct focus on community building, relational leadership, and long-term personal impact. Program outcomes are achieved through direct service, intentional reflection, and shared experience. The application period for 2013 Alternative Spring Breaks has closed.
ASB trips are not designed to be comfortable. The trips are focused on direct service and meeting the unique needs of a community. Students who choose to participate should do so with an attitude of flexibility and servant-leadership. The trip is truly an alternative to a traditional spring break on the beach. Students who have participated in similar trip described their experiences to be both transformative and rewarding.
This year’s relief focused trip is planned in cooperation with the National Relief Network*, http://www.nrn.org. The National Relief Network (NRN) is an organization committed to bringing large numbers of volunteers to state and federally declared disaster areas for the purpose of helping families in their efforts to rebuild their homes, their communities, and their lives. They administrate volunteer relief programs for organizations such as churches, youth groups, corporations, colleges, universities and high schools.
2013 Program Dates:
- February 13, 7-9pm: Pre-Trip Orientation designed to answer critical trip planning question, address risk management issues, build relationships with program participants, and prepare student volunteers for what they will be experiencing in New Orleans.
- February 23 8am-1pm: Pre-Trip Service Experience to further team building among student participants and engage volunteers in relief work in this region.
- March 9-14: 6 day Alternative Spring Break trip will include 4 full days in the New Orleans area with 3 full days of service and a 1 day cultural excursion. Travel will be by bus from Louisville to New Orleans.
Other Important Information:
- ASB Program fees include: Meals during service Ground transportation Lodging accommodations (bunks/cots).
- Additional Personal Costs: Meals during travel Excursion or recreational meals and activities.
- Required Documents: Financial Obligation Form Student Release and Assumption of Risk Form.
- Equipment needs: Sleeping Bag/Linens
The Engage Lead Serve Board is no longer accepting applications for 2013 Alternative Spring Breaks. If you have questions contact the ELSB Service Break Coordinator, Trevor Collinsworth at email@example.com.
*The National Relief Network (http://www.nrn.org) allows trips to change location during times of high relief needs. If the program location changes due to relief needs such as unforeseen natural disasters, the program fee and dates will remain the same.